Wednesday, April 2, 2008

Exploring Pastel class#2

For our second pastel class at Artist & Display we took a long sheet of paper, drew a line down the middle to divide it in 2 parts and painted a bowl. On one side we did warm colors and on the other side cool colors. Then we painted a frosted vase with 2 flowers in it. Not much discussion this week, just practice.

Bought a spirol pad of 12x18" Strathmore Charcoal paper in assorted tints to practice. My other paper, Canson mi-teintes in assorted colors is only 9x12". I feel like I want to paint larger. Ordered a medium gray view finder to help me see light, medium and dark values in color better. I'm glad I understand the painter's color wheel. Other people in my class are still struggling with it. I'm still working on identifying light, dark and medium values along with warm/cool colors in pastel. (Every color has a warm and cool version) I don't know if I like having all the pastel jumbled together in a box like we have them in class, but I've noticed that that's how most pastel artists tend to work.

Used Aquabee Fashion Design Bold Bogus Rough Sketch paper with vine charcoal and white for portrait sketching at Milwaukee Sketch Club. Worked very well. Missed helping out at Pius studio night- worked too late.

No comments: