Saturday, August 15, 2020

3 Greendale Derwent Inktense pencil sketches on 9x12 canson multimedia paper 8/14/20

 When I listened to Eric Rhoads Plein Air Podcast interview of Brienne Brown, https://www.outdoorpainter.com/pleinair-podcast-184-brienne-brown-on-painting-with-watercolor-and-more/, I decided to try her exercise of painting multiple sketches plein air.  However, instead of staying in one location I walked around. (I cut the paper in half and scanned it. Tried photographing it outside but the light is too blue and totally wrecked the colors.)







She also mentioned that she uses a process to seal her watercolors so she doesn't need to mat and put them behind glass. I remember in one of the early podcasts, a female painter had to switch from oils to watercolors and did some spray varnish? process on her her watercolors for plein air competitions. She would paint on matboard. I do not remember her name.

 https://www.outdoorpainter.com/category/pleinair-podcast/

I did a little research. The processes I found seem rather tedious because they start with mounting the finished watercolor painting onto a board or panel after painting the picture. That seems like it would be too easy to wreck the painting. I'd rather just start by painting on a panel.

No comments: