Sunday, January 20, 2019

9x12 maribu art crayon sketch on canvas paper 1/11/19

Decided to check out Hobby Lobby that all my friends recommend so see if I could find a giant water filled reservoir brush. No such luck. However, I did discover these crayons. They work very well but only have a limited 25 color range. Mostly too dark. That's the problem I generally find with Oil Pastel type products. I need a middle range especially for people. People are a range of shades. For example this set came with 2 lights, a white and light pinkish color, then a super dark brown and black.

I really like the feel of these. I did my normal oil pastel technique which is go over the paper with the light color and rub it in before I start drawing with the darker colors. I do that so I can blend to lighter values and scrape back to get highlights and lighter areas.

Marabu Art Crayons say that they are lightfast but appear to mainly be used by scrapbookers http://www.kerentamir.com/art-crayons-comparison-review/

Sometime in the future I could look up Faber Castell Gelatos, Tim Holtz Distress Crayons, Prima Water Soluble oil pastels, Dina Wakley’s Scribble Sticks and Derwent Art Bar and see if they have a set suitable for drawing people and winter landscapes. Meanwhile Conte Crayons here I come.


No comments: