Tuesday, November 8, 2016

Whitnal Park 6x8 acrylic 11/4/16

After listening to Eric Rhodes Podcast with James Gurney  I decided to go back to using 4 tubes, a white, yellow, red, and blue. It's a challenge that he and his friends do with each other. He also sets up orange cones when he paints plein air that say "Department of Art".
 



This time I used white, ultramarine blue, burnt sienna and really concentrated on values. I still need to put on a light gray wash/glaze to tone down the trees in the background. I was still working on the foreground when it was time to leave but I think it works OK. In the previous outdoor painting adventures I had been trying to exactly match the fall colors by trying different reds and yellows. However I think this experiment worked very well.


My friends told me about
  • Savy Painter
  • Wind River Art for Easy L plastic grids?
I put these two books on my amazon wish list or at least I'd like to read them after listening to Eric Rhodes podcast with James Gurney
  • Sketching from Nature in Water Colours by Aaron Penley
  • The Artist's Guide to Sketching by James Gurney, Thomas Kinkade

No comments: