Monday, June 8, 2015

Elegant Farmer Apple tree orchard pastel 9x12 and plein air painting

 Last Thursday a group of us met up to paint at the Elegant Farmer. Donna had called and got us permission to paint at the top of the hill but despite that we still ended up talking to someone in a white truck. I guess the woman in the office forgot to tell him.










John got there first, then me, then Mark and Cindy, then Terry, and Donna last. It was an overcast day and actually sprinkled on the way out but it stayed dry while we painted. There was a good breeze and towards the end of the morning it became partly cloudy with white puffy clouds and a blue sky.






Mark has very good painting setup that he designed hisself. (I'm using the colloquial version of himself here because that's the way I talk.) His wife bought her photographer's umbrella from Amazon Basic. It has a handle for carrying and a hook on the bottom for hanging weights when it gets real windy to keep it from blowing away. Mark made their painting panel mounts so they can attach with a camera attachment. He got the insets from a hardware store. They found lightweight sports umbrellas from Menards



My painting looks dark and fuzzy but I think that is the way the lighting was.








My painting supplies were simple. Three boxes of pastels, a drawing board, and rag. I set the pastels on a towel to try to keep track of them in the tall clover and sat on a light, blue, foldable, tripod stool. Since this is wood tick season I tucked my pants into my socks but didn't see or get any ticks. Wind kept off any possible bugs. I wore my floppy canvas hat, long sleeve shirt, and long pants. Mosquitoes love me and I get an allergic reaction to insect repellents, even natural ones, so I have to limit my use.










I started out by taping a piece of 9x12 gray, Canson Mis-Teintes paper to my drawing board and lightly sketching the basic shapes. I was intrigued by the lines of the trees in the orchard. I had to dull down the greens with browns. The far tree line was the darkest spot of the picture while the chopped up plant material in the field was the lightest.









No comments: