Sunday, April 11, 2010

Artist Bio

On April 10, presented 3 oil pastel paintings to League of Milwaukee Artists for new member jurying in process. http://www.leagueofmilwaukeeartists.com/public/join.php .

Here's LMA New Member Jurying Criteria:
  1. Body of Work reflects effective use of Design Principles in regard to each Art Element to create an effective composition. Design principles are variety, balance, gradation, repetition, contrast, harmony, dominance, unity, rhythm, economy. Art elements are line, value, shape, texture, color, space. Examples: Art element color: cool or warm dominance balanced by some color from the other side of the color wheel. Does the artists effectively use warm/cool color contrast in addition to or as an alternative to value contrast? Is the artist's palette harmonious? Art element shape: Does the artist use a variety of shapes to create a rhythm throughout the painting? Is the composition balanced by use of large and small shapes. Are the shapes of the negative space interesting? Art element value: Does the painting show a contrast and variety in value? Are values used effectively to create a rhthm or movement throughout the composition? Are the values used to create atmospheric perspective where applicable?
  2. Artists work shows proficiency and confidence in chosen medium: Examples - sound drawing skills - knowledge of subject, perspective, etc. Strong painterly approach - Econom of brushwork - painting not overworked, consistency of brushwork in oils or acrylics, freshness in watercolor with clean colors, effective glazes, confidence in paint application.
  3. Artist approaches subject matter in an interesting way. (a different view, tell a story, innovative use of art elements, etc.) SUBJECT MATTER ITSELF IS NOT THE ISSUE, it's how the artist might take a common subject and make it interesting.
  4. Work engages and holds viewer's interest. (This addresses having a strong gut reaction to the art. Does it stop you in your tracks or could you easily walk by.)
  5. Presentation: How do the three paintings reflect and represent the artist as a whole? The work should reflect the artist's personal style.

Here's my current artist bio & statement.

Artist Bio:

I was born and raised in Wisconsin by non-artist parents. As a child I loved drawing and creating but as a young adult I put art aside. Within the last couple of years I rediscovered my love of art. My desire to improve my skills and techniques, prompted me to seek out fellow artists and groups. Currently I am a member of the Milwaukee Sketch Club, the AC Art Association and the Wisconsin Pastel Artists.

My main focus is Plein Air Painting. I love the outdoors with its magnificent scenery and changing spectacular color pallets, no matter what the weather. I also enjoy honing my figure and still life drawing skills. I keep growing as an artist by attending many classes, workshops and demonstrations.

The mediums that I use are varied. Much of my work is in oil pastel, regular pastels and acrylics; but I have also work with graphite, colored pencils, charcoal, conte crayon, watercolors and oils.

My inspirations include a wide variety of subjects. I hope that many pieces convey my love of the outdoors, peaceful scenery and all nature has to offer. In my pieces I strive to evoke an emotional response or memory from the viewer.

Artist Statement

My art is a constant work in progress. it represents a playful, organic growth of ideas, documenting my journey into an exciting, unknown future.

I like to work and experiment with a series of new ideas. Experimenting and developing traditional areas such as plein air, live figure drawing and still-lifes help to further my expressive education. I continue to learn as a member of the Wisconsin Pastel Artists, AC Art Association and Milwaukee Sketch Club. I enhance these experiences by attending various workshops.

I currently work mostly with pastels, both oil and regular, for their immediateness of application and vibrant colors. I also enjoy acrylics. I do minimal blending, instead I prefer to layer, scrub and scratch design into the art so it seems to vibrate and come alive. I want the painting to reveal more depth the longer it is looked at.

I strive to express emotion rather than solely reality although there are realistic elements in my paintings. I love the excitement of working on a painting and experiencing the evolution of an idea to its final outcome.

No comments: