Sunday, February 8, 2009

Blue and Yellow don't make Green, a book by Michael Wilcox


I've been reading this book by Wilcox. He writes about the traditional color wheel and how it doesn't work perfectly because there currently are no pure yellows, reds and blues. Every primary color in pigments has a warm or cool feature to it. Therefore when you mix colors sometimes you don't get a clean secondary. I did a few experiments with my Golden Open Acyrlics, (they're real nice, they really do stay open longer, especially if you add the open thinner.) Anyway here's the results of one experiment. I now have a color set of 10 colors, trying to get a cool and warm with each primary, plus some secondary colors and white. Sidenote: Mixing and applying paint with a palette knife makes it so much easier to keep your colors clean than with a brush. Saves paint too. I'm going to do some experimental paintings, where I limit the colors to see how many colors I can get with a limited number of paint.

No comments: