Saturday, June 7, 2008

Lake Front Plein Air

The Milwaukee Sketch club schedule was Plein Air at Milwaukee Sailing Club, meeting around 9am but I didn't see anyone hanging around outside so walked around until I found a quiet spot. There was a race going on. Ended up painting the new Art Museum http://www.mam.org . Very windy. Just used my board not my easel. Sat on the ground.

Been reading capturing Light & Color with pastel by Doug Dawson isbn 0-89134-376-8. In chapter 12 he talks about creating depth with pastels. I'm going to try to use these principles when I'm painting. According to him there is 7 observable ways that the eye perceives depth in nature:
  1. As space recedes, objects that are close overlap the objects that are farther away.
  2. As space recedes, objects appear to get smaller the farther away they are.
  3. As spaces recede, detail is lost.
  4. As spaces recede, edges get softer.
  5. As space recedes, color becomes cooler.
  6. As space recedes, contrast between values diminishes.
  7. As space recedes, color diminishes in intensity.
Next Wednesday the sketch club is scheduled for Whitnall Park/Boerner Gardens.

No comments: